Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Week 7: Storytelling Post: Sita's Thoughts

I could hardly believe it- one minute I was stuck in Ravana’s lair with him begging me nightly to become his goddess and the next minute I’m in Rama’s arms one again.  I am afraid that this is all a dream and I’ll wake up to realize that I have simply fallen asleep and none of this will be real.  The longer that I am with Rama, the more it sinks in that he truly has rescued me and I’m on my way back home.  It’s been nearly fourteen years since I have seen my home and I long to smell the baking bread, the touch of clean clothes, and the warmth of a bubble bath.  I keep on looking over at Rama- I certainly hope my eyes are not failing me- I’m so incredibly beyond excited to be back with him.  Anyways, on our way back home, Rama shows me the way he had come.  We pass by Jatayu’s burial place and I can’t help but shed a few tears for the great sacrifice he had made in an attempt to save me.  Such heroism deserves to be rewarded but instead he was rewarded with a grave and eternal rest.  We also passed by where Rama had met Hanuman- wow, I can’t even begin to imagine what my rescue mission would have looked like without- would there even have been a rescue?  Surely my husband Rama would have found a way.  Anyways, we continue on our way back and I can’t help but feel the excitement building within me even more- so many exciting changes are about to take place, and already have.  I wonder how Bharata has handled the kingdom- it’s hard to belief fourteen years have already passed…

Author’s Note:  I have seen other people’s storytelling posts and am continually impressed by the variety of styles.  While some seem unattainable, I thought that I could at least try and write my story in first person.  I wanted to write from Sita’s perspective because she goes through so much yet remains so in love with her husband which is quite impressive.  I really enjoyed writing from the first person point of view because so many personal thoughts can be added in that can add lots of insightful details.  It’s very sad what Sita will eventually go through, but I enjoyed writing what I think might have been some of her thoughts as she undergoes this stage in her life.

Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana in exile in the forest 
(Source:  Wikipedia)



Bibliography:  Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way

6 comments:

  1. I think you did a very good job while trying out a new style that you may not be as comfortable with. I like that you chose to express the thoughts that Sita may be having on her journey home. The entire book revolves around her rescue but we never know too much of what is actually happening to her or going through her head. She is a very complex and interesting character so I think shedding even the slightest bit of light on her really amplifies the story. Great job and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor,
    I really enjoyed your storytelling post for the week!
    I read a lot of storytelling posts where people (myself included) focused on Sita facing possible exile going into the assembly. I like how you did yours from Sita's point of view before everything turned around. You did a good job portraying her thoughts and feelings. The love she has for Rama is so strong and you really expressed that in your writing.
    Good job! I can't wait to read more of your posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Taylor, loved the story. I totally agree with the thoughts you envisioned Sita to have once being rescued. Being kept prisoner for fourteen years and continuously being tricked and psychologically broken would definitely make Sita hesitant to trust Rama. I have no doubt that Sita had the thoughts of how it could just be Ravana tricking her again. Well I can't wait to possibly read more of your stories in the future. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Taylor! I think you really did do a great job with first person! It felt very stream of consciousness as you wrote, which is very believable. Her amazement at being rescued and uncertainty of how things will go in the future is really great. I'm doing my storybook on Sita, so I loved seeing your interpretation of it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate the first person in this story. I think first person is a great way to express the inner thoughts and emotions of Sita in her reunion with Rama. I also like that you chose this scene for the story because it is such a romantic and intimate one. The part in your story where they pass by Jatayu's grave is something I'm glad you included. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Taylor! I love the way that you chose to portray Sita's thoughts on the trip back to the kingdom. I had not seen this done before, as the journey back is generally glossed over or ignored. The way that you wrote this from her perspective showed what she was thinking, allowing me to connect with her. You did a great job portraying her thoughts. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete