Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Storytelling for Week 6: Sita's Hope

My heart feels like it is slowing to a stop. With every passing day in this place, I feel closer and closer to resolving my life to an eternity of loneliness.  I can’t bear the grief any longer.  First, I was taken away from my husband- I was only trying to be kind to an old man, and this is what I get?  I don’t understand how this is fair.  Now, Ravana tries to continually seduce me day after day.  This causes his wives to loathe me as they want his attention and are jealous that I get his flirty behavior night after night.  Anyways, I miss my husband way too much to even look at another man!  I wish these women would understand that.  This stress is taking such a toll on my health.  My body feels weaker by the day- the food is scarce and doesn’t taste any good, but it doesn’t really matter anyways.  After all, I seem to have lost my appetite after I was taken away from my dear husband and the fortress of our marriage.  Whether my loss of appetite is from fear, grief, or disgust stemmed from Ravana I do not know, but what I do know is that I will not lose hope that my husband will come to rescue me.  Rama is the most capable man I know and I would not doubt him for the world.  In fact, he has the strength equivalent to a thousand men and his love for me surpasses any sufferings as does my love for him.  Does he think about me often?  Is this as painful for him as it is for me?  I hope he is in good health and is safe.  Sure Lakshmana is taking good care of him.   I oftentimes resort to comforting myself with this thought since my husband’s well-being is more worrisome for me than my own.  I truly do love him and want the best for him.  Hopefully, he will make it here sooner rather than later so that I can emerge out of this terrible place and resume my role as his loving wife.

Author’s Note:  I chose to write in first person because I think it provides a powerful look into someone’s mind and thoughts.  This passage isn’t really in the story, but fits in because it describes what Sita may be thinking as she undergoes this stressful time in her life.

Bibliography:  Buck, William (1976).  Ramayana:  King Rama's Way


Sita in a flame
(source:  Wikipedia)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Taylor, I really enjoy reading the storytelling posts that involve first person accounts to get a look inside a characters thoughts and feelings like you did. I think you encompassed the different thoughts that Sita carried quite well. I especially like how you were able to include the different aspects of Sita's situation such as her action to helping an old man then getting captured, her fasting, Ravana trying to seduce her, his wives jealousy, her thoughts about Rama and hopeful rescue, and of course her great grief that weighs on her more and more everyday. Awesome job getting into Sita's mind and channeling her thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taylor! I think that you are definitely right about first person storytelling giving you a powerful look into someone's mind! I also think it helps you relate to the character, especially with the character being Sita! She is so loyal and innocent, and I think you captured that perfectly! Even though this part was not included in the real story, it really did fit in well! Great job!

    ReplyDelete