Monday, September 29, 2014

Week 7: Reading Diary A

I know Ravana has been quite cocky throughout the story, but really- he’s even cocky to time which I feel like sort of rules all.  He’s being really unreasonable.  I think he’s in the middle of a power-hungry trance and can’t really break free.  Other people in the story such as the monkey Hanuman fought had one warning, but Ravana has had so many and he still is just as confident as ever.  I’m starting to think that this isn’t just about Sita anymore and maybe is about a lot more.  The fight scene was definitely extremely intense.  With all the arrows flying and detail, it was quite exciting.  However, I didn’t really get the whole green skin thing and the arrow that broke on Rama’s leg and then was thrown at Ravana?  Anyways, it still sounded very intense.  I think it must have been so discouraging for Rama to cut off Ravana’s heads and have them grow right back.  I’m not really sure what Rama would have been thinking or feeling at this time, but he is a warrior through and through so I’m sure he kept his “head in the game” and stayed focused because oftentimes willpower/mindset is what will get you beat over any physical strength/ability battle.  I think it’s neat that Buck added in his own part of the story and that Ravana even begs for Rama to take Sita back.  Quite a turn of events- I’m surprised that Ravana stoops to that level.  I could see him mentally accepting defeat but writing it in a letter to his enemy is a step past that.  I also find it interesting that Vibhishana makes the plans for Ravana’s funeral even though he betrayed Ravana in a way.  I guess he still cared for Ravana even though he didn’t necessarily approve of his actions.  Poor Mandodari- it must have been so difficult for her to endure that loss, but at least she had Maya to comfort her.  However, a loss is a loss and that must have been really painful.  I’m glad Vibhishana is in charge of Lanka now, though.  Hopefully he doesn’t become corrupted by the power and instead rules the kingdom for good although that’s against his innate nature in a way.  I’m glad that Agni testifies for Sita in terms of her faithfulness and am sad that this will not be good enough in the future (but maybe Agni could be a witness/testifier for my storybook).

No comments:

Post a Comment