Monday, September 29, 2014

Week 7: Reading Diary B

I wonder if it was an emotional time for Rama as he shows Sita where they passed through along their way to rescue her- past the site where they had to burn Jatayu’s body, where they met Hanuman, etc.  Wow, it’s crazy to think how different this story would have turned out if they hadn’t met Hanuman.  It’s cool that Sita is now pregnant, but it is so maddening what Rama does.  For one, he bases his action to kick Sita out based off of the gossip of the townspeople.  Two, he doesn’t even talk to Sita about this- he goes completely behind her back to abandon her after all the trust, hope, and love she had put in him.  Three, he knows this will most likely result in her death and is entirely okay with it.  Rama is definitely not one of my favorite characters anymore.  It’s very strange that Rama doesn’t want Sita anymore but has a statue of her at the festival- very creepy and weird.  Maybe he regrets his decision?  It was very brave of Sita to come back to Rama and try to prove her innocence.  Perhaps, this would be a good place in the timeline for my storybook to “happen.”  Anyways, it’s very strange she’s taken into the ground and man, would that not be scary at all?  Poor Sita- dragged away again unwillingly.  Sure, it’s a nicer supernatural being this time but still, very scary.  It’s sort of extreme the extent of repercussions that Kala wants to be instilled if anyone messes up the meeting between him and Rama.  I wonder if the hermit would actually do all that he’d say or if he’s just trying to be scary.  However, with this sort of book and characters, I wouldn’t put it past them.  It’s so sad that Lakshmana has to die.  He has been such a hard-working, sacrificial, obedient, kind person this whole story and now he has to die for this? It just doesn’t seem right.  The end of the book is very strange.  I think it’s weird that Rama can die but Vibhishana can’t.  I thought Rama was an incarnation of Vishnu so would that not make him immortal?  Anyways, well-written novel, it just seems very weird to me (in all honesty) but probably that’s only because these aren’t stories I grew up on- I’m sure people from outside my culture would think stories I’m used to are very weird as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment