Friday, October 3, 2014

Week 8: Reading Diary- Self Assessment

I feel like my reading diaries have been okay so far.  I always look over the reading diary instructions every week to make sure that I do them correctly and haven’t forgotten anything.  Of course, it’s always possible I overlook something, but I’m fairly sure they adhere to the instructions provided.  All my reading diaries are about the same length.  Towards the beginning, the author’s note was pretty short but then they got longer as the semester progressed.  I don’t have any tips for other students- they are all doing great jobs! My posts are pretty short but always meet the minimum number of words.  I do include images and have not done any quotes- that’s a great idea though!  I feel like I’m putting in good effort and I always do the reading, but I am simply not very creative so my posts are not too interesting. I’ve been really impressed by my classmates’ posts though.  For this reason, I’m trying to pour in extra time into my storybook.  For this class, I remember some of the reading such as the main points, but not all of it.  I remember more from Narayan than from Buck.  For my other classes, most of the information is put into lecture slides and I focus more on that than textbook reading.  As for reading strategies, it helps to have a summary to go off of first (which you have provided) which helps me keep track of the context and what to look for.  That’s been very helpful and helps me make sure that I understand the major plot points even if I don’t remember all of the small details.   On another note, the summaries provide me big events and sometimes I choose to capitalize on the details for my storytelling post because they are just that- small, barely mentioned points in the story that have a lot of room for creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment