Sunday, September 14, 2014

Week 5: Reading Diary A

Yeah, I’m definitely surprised that Kaikeyi thought that Bharata would be fine with her using her two wishes to put him on the throne instead of Rama and banishing him on top of that.  Bharata adores Rama and looks up to him- what does Kaikeyi think would have come of their relationship if she goes along and not only steals Rama’s crown but also his home and kingdom and has her son take his place.  I can’t imagine how Bharata would be feeling.  First of all, he must be overwhelmed with grief since his father died.  Next, he must be incredibly sorrowful since Rama is dead in a way- he probably won’t see him again.  And finally, he must be absolutely outraged with his mother for cooking up such a contraption.  However, I think it’s great that Kausalya knows Bharata is innocent and never asked for this.  She seems so well composed though which is really impressive.  It’s also nice that they came together to grieve instead of grieving independently- support systems definitely would help in situations such as these (I would imagine).  I also find it surprising that they burn bodies in this culture- I feel like most other cultures honor the body.  For example, the Egyptians put their kings’ bodies in a pyramid with all sorts of valuables…  Also, I think it’s a nice gesture that Bharata says he will only rule for fourteen years and will represent Rama by keeping his sandals by the throne, but I feel as if it’s very extreme to not rule one day past that.  Maybe Bharata is scared to rule and is caving from the pressure, but I think it’s more likely that he’s trying to make a stand.  Also, how is Rama expected to keep track of everyday up to 14 years to the exact day and remember his way back?  I feel like that’s a lot to ask/remember.  Skipping forward, poor Sita- being attacked by a big crow in the middle of the night.  I don’t get why Rama saw she was upset, smiled, and went back to sleep.  Also, I’m surprised he didn’t kill the crow. Why did the crow go after Sita in the first place? Anyways, Sita does not seem to get any breaks- she’s snatched up by a demon.  However, Tumburu is smart for taking Sita if that’s the way he is changed from a demon.  Also, I don’t get why Lakshmana had to build the house- I feel like Rama should at least help.  Lakshmana doesn’t even need to have gone with him and he did, so I feel like Rama can at least be especially nice and helpful to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment