Sunday, August 24, 2014

Week 2: Storytelling- Love at First Sight

Ever since Sita was a little girl, she dreamed of the man she would marry.  She had always hoped for a tall, strong man with dark hair and sparkling eyes.  However, her idea of a dream man seemed less and less possible as her father set the bar really high for any guy who would want to marry her.  Her future husband would have to have the strength of one thousand men and find his way to her- it was not as if she could scour the world for the strongest man on the planet but instead, he would have to wonder into her town.  Additionally, the chances of such a man also being charming and good-looking were very slim.  However, one day, she laid her eyes upon a handsome man of beautiful stature and a body any supernatural being would want.  Sita was completely caught off guard as she could not remember the last time she had swooned over a man so much.  As Sita and Rama gazed into each other's eyes for a brief second, time seemed to stand still.  It was if the world around them seemed to melt away as they soaked up each other's gaze.  Her longing gaze was cut short as she lost sight of him.  Sita gushed to her maids, "He was so perfect- tall, broad shoulders, and kind eyes- I have never seen someone like that in my entire life!"  Her minds sweetly asked, "When will you see him again?"  Their innocent questions had pure intentions, but Sita suddenly realized she didn't even know his name, much less where he lived, and her chances of meeting him again seemed bleak.  Unfortunately, it seemed like fate would never allow them to meet again.  Sita felt ill at the thought of such a charming man being dashed away by the chaos of the world.  As she climbed into bed, she wept her heartbreak away as her maids remained oblivious to the obvious attachment she felt to a man she didn't even know.  Meanwhile, Rama met Sita's father and completed the strength challenge- a prerequisite to having his daughter's hand in marriage.  When Sita heard a man completed the feat, she could not be happy thinking about someone, other than the handsome gentleman she laid eyes on today, spending the rest of his life with her and the handsome fellow she had seen that day being betrothed to someone else.  Luck seemed to be on Sita's side and soon enough, she married the handsome man of her dreams and had a beautiful wedding.



Author's Note:  I really enjoy love stories, so I wrote about how Sita and Rama fell in love.  I think it's so beautiful how when they met eyes, they were both blown away and how amazing it was they found each other once again and got married.  I wanted to convey what Sita may have been experiencing in this brief excerpt of her life and I wrote it in third person so I could include other details I may have otherwise been limited from.

Bibliography:  Narayan, R. K. (1972) The Ramayana.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! We definitely had the same idea because my story is very similar to yours, even in the naming of it as "love at first sight". Great minds think alike! I think your story is cute and captures Sita's feelings quite nicely. From your writing I could tell that she seemed very smitten by the man that she had seen. I really liked this part of the book when I first read it because to me, it really resembled the story of Aladdin and I pictured Rama and Sita having a similar "balcony scene". Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how much detail you used to describe Rama. I could really tell how infatuated Sita was by that. I wish you had spent a little more time talking about how she felt when she found out that the man who met her father's requirements was the same one she had briefly locked eyes with earlier. Third person was a good idea. The story would be hard to tell with the detail you used in first person.

    ReplyDelete