Sunday, August 24, 2014

Week 2: Reading Diary B

As I said before I wrote the other reading diary, I apologize if my thoughts are scattered.  I will write in my blog as I read so I may jump through the story a little bit.  For starters, I think it's sad that the king hates his wife so much for using the two wishes against his son.  I cannot blame him for being upset, but I hate to see a wedge driven into a relationship, especially that of a husband and wife.  I appreciate the fact he respected his word- that says a lot about his character.  I can't believe that the wife feels the need to exile Rama completely though- seems a bit excessive to me.  The obedience of Rama is quite commendable- he obeyed "without question."  I think it's a bit strange the wife expects the whole town to be offended if the king didn't keep his word- I bet they would see more the trickery and evil intentions by the wife misuing a wish/"boon."  I think it's sweet Sita and Lakshmana went with Rama- did Lakshmana choose to or did he have to?  Later, when Rama left Chitrakuta, I feel as if it was very sweet that he didn't want to detract from Bharatha's rule so much that he left the proximity of Ayodyha so he wouldn't be a reason people didn't listen to/respect Bharatha's rule.  Skipping forward, I think it's interesting how the sister of Ravana felt so love-sick from seeing Rama with Sita that she shut herself into a cave.  I mean, really? She's supernatural anyways- is there not a supernatural, good-looking male for her?  It's a bit crazy how supernatural beings are awestruck by the beauty of humans, and I don't understand how Ravana plans on making Sita his queen if he can't even touch her without consent.  I can't imagine he'll be able to convince her to love him and then he'll be faced with impending death.  I feel really bad for Lakshmana- the whole time he is making really good points about not following the deer and not leaving Sita and when they don't believe/listen to him.  It reminds me of somehow we, as humans, may disregard what someone has to say because the person may not seem as important, but they may make a really good point and we are too prideful or do not consider their words and may suffer as a result.  I wonder what happens to Lakshmana and hope he ends up okay in the long run.  I'm sure if Rama knew he left Sita unattended, he would be extremely upset.  I wonder why Sita felt like it was safe to let an old, creepy man into her home with all of this fishy business going on at the same time.  It's very sweet of her, but I'm not quite sure how she was not suspicious or nervous.  I can't blame her for passing out when Ravana lifted her up by carrying the soil underneath her feet, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment